Nanotechnology is manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supermolecular scale. The more generalized description of nanotechnology was established by the National Nanotechnology initiative, which defines nanotechnology as the manipulation of matter with at least one dimension sized from 1 to 100 nanometers. The associated research and applications are equally diverse, ranging from extensions of conventional device physics to completely new approaches based upon molecular, from developing new materials with dimensions on the nanoscale to direct control of matter in atomic state.
Centre of Excellence in Patterned Multiferroics & Nanotechnology is established in the year 2013 as the Materials Research Laboratory to pursue research and supports collaborative, interdisciplinary research and education in the field of Materials science and Technology. The centre is actively engaged in research on synthesis, characterization and the fundamental study of physical properties of surfaces and interfaces of thin films, nano structured thin films, Nano multilayer films/Nano composite thin films and multiferroics thin films for various applications. The nanostructured thin films and nanomaterials find applications in thin film solar cells, hard and wear resistant coatings, data storage, dielectrics, catalysis etc. The properties of the nanomaterials depend on the crystallite size and hence, the study of properties as a function of crystallite size is essential to carry out the research in nanoscience and nanotechnology. Faculty members of this institution with their different field of expertise, share their interest and ideas to understand the fundamental mechanism, properties and applications of nanomaterials.
The main objective of the centre is to create a dynamic research environment and to encourage students, research scholars and faculty members to participate in new research areas with innovative ideas. The prime task is to engage in the basic research, which leads to technological applications. The centre is promoting the national and international scientific exchanges on cutting-edge research on thin films and nanoscience. Inviting scientists/engineers from india and abroad having experience in nanoscience is an integral part of this centre. The centre has Director, research team, research scholars and students. The centre conducts workshops/seminars with their collaborative partners, act as mentors for students in centre educational programs, and contribute their expertise to the development of innovative materials.
The centre is supported by Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research to focus the research on new and emerging areas of materials science and allowing the centre to react optimistically to the current scientific developments. This will lead to the growth of this centre as an international centre of excellence in the field of nanoscience and technology.
Promoting the excellence in the nanoscience and technology in both research and education for the advancement of science and technology.
Educate and empower the students for the highest quality of research for the development of multifunctional thin films and nanostructured materials and facilitate the transfer of technology to address the societal needs.
- Thin films of Ceramics
- Transparent conducting oxide thin films
- Hard and wear resistant coatings
- Dielectric thin films
- Nanostructured materials
- Nanocomposite thin films
- Epitaxial thin films
- Development of room temperature multiferroic materials
- Patterning of multiferroics
Dr.G. Balakrishnan Ph.D. (NIT-T), Post Doc. (CNU, South Korea)
Dr. G. Balakrishnan received his Ph.D. from National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli. He did his Post Doctoral Research in Advanced Composites Materials Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering of Changwon National University, South Korea. His research interests are Thin films of ceramics, Nanomultilayers, Nanocomposites, Thin film solar cells, Hard and wear resistant coatings, Semiconductor thin films and so on. He published more than 30 papers in the reputed international journals. He presented the more than 35 research papers in various national/international conferences. He received 6 best papers awards from conferences.
|S.No.||Name of the Members|
|1.||Dr. P. Kanagaraj|
|2.||Dr. P. Naveen Chandran|
|3.||Mr. C. Thamodaran|
|4.||Ms. M. Kiruthiga|
|5.||Mr. D. Hasen|
|6.||Mr. P. Adheekeshavan|
|7.||Mr. R.J. Golden Renjith Nimal|
|8.||Mr. S. Manavalan|
|Designation||Name of the Members|
|Research Member||Mr. Dinesh, B.Tech|
|Research Member||Mr. Varun, B.Tech|
|Research Member||Mr. Mukesh, B.Tech|
|Research Member||Mr. Praveen, B.Tech|
|Research Member||Mr. Ram Vinoba, B.Tech|
|Research Member||Mr. Rishaban, B.Tech|
|Research Member||Mr. Kishore, B.Tech|
|Research Member||Mr. Saiful, B.Tech|
|Research Member||Mr. Sathiyaraj, M.Tech|
National Board Members
|S.No.||Name of the Members|
|1||Mr. J. Chandru, CEO- Sixth Sense Robotics|
|2||Mr. Raja, Manager - Diagonal Cadd|
|3||Mr. Rajesh, Team Leader – Procaet|
|4||Mr. Tamilvanan Ramalingam, Executive Director- Cadplan|
|5||Mr. Srinivasan, Bdo - Eds Technologies|
|6||Mr. Magesh, Application Manager – Adroitec|
|7||Mr. V.S. Prabhakaran, Director-Surftech Engg.|
International Board Members
|Name of The Members||Designation|
Dept of Mechanical Engineering, Aachanan University, Germany
Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
|Vikrant Vazes||Post-doctoral Research Associate|
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- RF/DC Magnetron sputtering unit
- Spin coating unit
- Dip coating unit
- High Temperature furnace
- Hot air oven
- Vacuum oven
- Ultrasonic cleaner
- Conductivity meter
- Magnetic stirrer with hot plate
- Electronic balance
- UV-Visible spectrophotometer
- Wet chemical lab
List of the Projects(Completed)
|S.No.||Name of theProject||Status|
|1||Epitaxial growth of Cerium oxide thin films||Completed|
|2||Epitaxial growth of Aluminium oxide thin films||Completed|
|3||Structural and optical properties of ZnO thin films prepared by sol-gel dip coating||Completed|
|4||Effect of oxygen partial pressure and substrate temperature on microstructural and optical properties of titanium oxide thin films||Completed|
List of the Projects(On Going...)
|S.No.||Name of theProject||Status|
|1||Dielectric studies of Cerium oxide and Zirconium oxide thin films||On Going|
|2||Transparent conducting oxide (TCO) thin films for thin film solar cell applications||On Going|
|3||Metal nitride coatings (AlN, TiN, TiAlN, DLC) for Hard and Wear resistant applications||On Going|
|4||Multiferroic nanoparticles and thin films||On Going|
- G. Balakrishnan, Vengala Rao Bandi, S.M. Rajeswari, N. Balamurugan, R. Venkatesh Babu and Jung Il Song, Effect of Oxygen Partial Pressure on Microstructural and Optical Properties of Titanium Oxide Thin Films Prepared by Pulsed Laser Deposition- Materials Research Bulletin 48 (2013) 4901–4906.
- G. Balakrishnan, Abdul Wasy, Ha Sun Ho, P. Sudhakara and Jung Il Song, Epitaxial growth of cerium oxide thin ﬁlms by pulsed laser deposition -Thin Solid Films 546 (2013) 467–471.
- P. Sudhakara, Dani. Jagadeesh, YiQi Wang, C. Venkata Prasad, A.P. Kamala Devi, G. Balakrishnan, B.S. Kim, J.I. Song, Fabrication of Borassus fruitlignocellulose ﬁber/PP composites and comparison with jute, sisal and coir ﬁbers-Carbohydrate Polymers 98 (2013) 1002-1010.
- Zhe Lu, Sang-Won Myoung, Yeon-Gil Jung, Govindasamy Balakrishnan, Jeongseung Lee and Ungyu Paik, Thermal Fatigue Behavior of Air-Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coating with Bond Coat Species in Cyclic Thermal Exposure -Materials 6 (2013) 3387-3403.
- G. Balakrishnan, R. Venkatesh Babu, K.S. Shin and Jung Il Song, Epitaxial growth of γ and α-Al2O3 Thin Films by Pulsed Laser Deposition- Optics & Laser Technology 56 (2014) 317–321.
- G. Balakrishnan, R. Thirumurugesan, E. Mohandas, D. Sastikumar, P. Kuppusami, and J. I. Song Phase Transition and Thermal Expansion Studies of Alumina Thin Films Prepared by Reactive Pulsed Laser Deposition–Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 14 (2014) 1-6.
- Abdul Wasy, G. Balakrishnan, S.H. Lee, J.K. Kim, D.G. Kim, T.G. Kim, J.I. Song , Argon plasma treatment on metal substrates and effects on diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating properties –Crystal Research and Technology 49 (2014) 55–62.
- Abdul Wasy, G. Balakrishnan, Seunghun Lee, Jong-kuk Kim, Tae Gyu Kim, Jung II Song, Thickness Dependent Properties of Diamond like Carbon Coatings Prepared by Filtered Cathodic Vacuum Arc - Surface Engineering 31 ( 2015) 85-89.
- Chanchal Ghosh, Divakar Ramachandran, G.Balakrishnan, P. Kuppusami and E. Mohandas, HRTEM investigation of phase stability in alumina–zirconia multilayer thin films, Bull. Mater. Sci. 38 (2015) 1–7.
- Kalavakunta Venkata Pavan Kumar, Oriparambil Sivaraman Nirmal Ghosh, G. Balakrishnan, P. Thirugnanasambantham, Santhosh Kumar Raghavan and Annamraju Kasi Viswanath, Green synthesis of zinc oxysulfide quantum dots using aegle marmelos fruit extract and their cytotoxicity in HeLa cells, RSC Adv., 5 (2015) 16815.
- G. Balakrishnan, A. Wazy, L. Seunghun, K. Jong-Kuk, K. Do-Geun, J.I. Song, Effect of Chromium Interlayer Thickness on Microstructure, Adhesion, Tribology and Mechanical Properties of DLC Coatings by Filtered Cathodic Vacuum Arc Deposition- Materials Characterization - Under review.
Papers presented in National/International Conferences
- G. Balakrishnan, S.M. Rajeswari, N. Balamurugan and Jung Il Song, The effect of oxygen partial pressure on the microstructural and optical properties of Titanium oxide thin films prepared by pulsed laser deposition, International Conference on Thin Films & Applications held at SASTRA University, Thanjavur, Tamilnadu, India during March 15-17, 2012.
- G. Balakrishnan and Jung Il Song, Preparation and Characterization of Alumina Thin Films, International symposium for Advanced Mechatronics and Materials 2012 (ISAMM 2012) held at Changwon National University, Changwon, S. Korea, during March, 22-23, 2012.
- G. Balakrishnan, Jung Il Song, Growth of Tetragonal Zirconia by Nanolaminate Structure by Pulsed Laser Deposition, - Collaborative Conference on Materials Research (CCMR) 2012, held in Seoul, South Korea during June 25-29, 2012.
- G. Balakrishnan, Yan Rong Wang, Abdul Wasy, Ha Sun Ho,P. Sudhakara and Jung Il Song, Phase Transition and Thermal Expansion Studies of Alumina Thin Films Prepared by Reactive Pulsed Laser Deposition, International Union of Materials Research Societies–International Conference in Asia 2012 (IUMRS-ICA 2012) held at BexCo, Busan, Korea during August 26–31, 2012.
- G. Balakrishnan, Yan Rong Wang, Abdul Wasy, Ha Sun Ho, P. Sudhakara and Jung Il Song, Epitaxial Growth of Cerium Oxide Thin Films Prepared by Pulsed Laser Deposition, International Union of Materials Research Societies – International Conference in Asia 2012 (IUMRS-ICA 2012) held at BexCo, Busan, S. Korea during August 26–31, 2012.
- P. Sudhakara, J.H. Bae, D.W. Lee, A.P. Kamala Devi, C.V. Prasad, D. Jagadeesh, Z.P. Hui, G. Balakrishnan, B.S. Kim, and J.I. Song, Borassus fruit fiber reinforced PP composites: Effect of fiber content and compatibilizer on thermal and mechanical properties, 8 th Asian –Australian Conference on Composite Materials, 6-8 November 2012, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- G. Balakrishnan, D. Sastikumar and Jung Il Song, Microstructure and Optical properties of CeO2/ZrO2 Nano multilayer Thin films Prepared by Pulsed Laser Deposition –Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials XX1 (PFAM-21), held at IIT-Guwahati, India during December 10-13, 2012.
- G. Balakrishnan, D. Sastikumar and Jung Il Song, Preparation and Characterization of Al2O3/ZrO2 Nanomultilayer Thin films, International Workshop on Crystal Growth and Characterization of Advanced Materials and Devices, held at Anna University, India during Dec. 16-19, 2012.
- C. M. Raghavan, G. Balakrishnan, Jin Won Kim, Jung Il Song, Sang Su Kim, Synthesis, Microstructural and Optical Properties of Aligned ZnO Nanowire Arrays by a Facile Hydrothermal Method, International Conference on Fracture of Solids (FEOFS 2013) held in Jeju island, S. Korea during June 9-13, 2013.
- G. Balakrishnan, A. Wazy, L. Seunghun, K. Jong-Kuk, K. Do-Geun K, S.I. Bae, K.S. Shin, C.W. Wang, J.I. Song, Effect of Chromium Interlayer Thickness on Microstructure, Mechanical and Tribological Properties of DLC Coatings by Filtered Cathodic Vacuum Arc Deposition- International Conference on Fracture of Solids (FEOFS 2013) held in Jeju island, S. Korea , June 9-13, 2013.
- Abdul Wazy, G. Balakrishnan, Yi Qi Wang, S.H. Ha, L. Seunghun, K. Jong-Kuk, K. Do-Geun K, T.G. Kim, J.I. Song, Thickness dependent properties of Diamond-like carbon coatings prepared by filtered cathodic vacuum arc, International Conference on Fracture of Solids (FEOFS 2013) held in Jeju island, S. Korea, June 9-13, 2013.
- P. Sudhakara, Dani. Jagadeesh, C. Venkata Prasad, G. Balakrishnan, Chang-uk Kim, Hye-soo Kim, B.S. Kim, J.I. Song, Fabrication and Optimization of New Borassus fruit lignocellulose fiber/PP composites and Comparison with Commercially Important Jute, Sisal and Coir fibers, International Conference on Fracture of Solids (FEOFS 2013) held in Jeju island, S. Korea , June 9-13, 2013.
- G. Balakrishnan, T. Elangovan, D. Sastikumar, P. Kuppusami, Dae-Eun Kim, R. Venkatesh babu and J.I. Song, Microstructural and Tribological Properties of Al2O3/ZrO2 Nano Multilayer Thin films, International Conference on Materials and Characterization Techniques (ICMCT 2014) held in VIT, Vellore, India , March 10-12, 2014.
- G. Balakrishnan, Ha Sun Ho, Yeong Min Park, R. Venkatesh babu, J. I. Song, T.G. Kim, Microstructure and Properties of Diamond-like carbon coatings prepared by Filtered cathodic vacuum arc deposition, International Conference on Multifunctional Materials (MFM) held at Shimla, during June 1-5, 2014.
- G. Balakrishnan, Sakthivel Gandhi, Jung Il Song, Effect of Bias voltage on Microstructure and Properties of Diamond-like carbon (DLC) Coatings Prepared by Filtered Cathodic Vacuum Arc, International Conference on Energy Materials (ICEM 2014) held in Sathyabama University, Chennai, India, July 28-30, 2014 -Best oral presentation award.
- G. Balakrishnan, reviewer in many reputed international journals (Applied surface science, Crystal Research & Technology, Materials letters, Materials science and Engineering, Ceramics International, Applied materials and interfaces and so on)
- Completed the Project on Epitaxial growth of Cerium oxide and Aluminium oxide and thin films.
- Completed the Project on Effect of oxygen partial pressure and substrate temperature on microstructural and optical properties of titanium oxide thin films.
- Dr. G. Balakrishnan presented a invited talk on “Applications of Thin films/Coatings for Automobile and Aerospace industries” to the faculty of Aeronautical and Automobile Engineering.
- Signed MOU with Surftech Engineering Pvt. Ltd to work on Alternatives to Hard chrome in Automobile Applications.